While I am fully intending to write all about Cooper and his third birthday, I feel like today I need to pause to honor the four officers that were killed just down the street from our house. I took the kids out in the 20 degree weather this morning to stand on the side of the road and wait for the procession of over 2,000 cars going to the officers memorial service. We were all horribly cold and Cooper was crying from the cold by the time we left (we left after standing their for an hour - it continued after we left for another two hours). But it was so worth the sacrifice. I kept reminding Kaelyn that we are sacrificing a couple hours of bitter cold to honor them, when these four officers sacrificed their LIVES to protect us. This loss has affectecd our entire community. It has brought a community together like I have never seen before. I'm torn deep down to the core about the pain these families are feeling. And feeling so much more grateful for those who serve us every single day.
Part of the fire department that was standing next to us.
So from us to all of our officers, fire fighters, military personnel, and their families...
2 comments:
You did a wonderful thing for your kids! Thanks for being a good mom and a good teacher. We spent most of the afternoon at school watching the hundreds of cars go as we streamed the coverage into my classroom. There was lots of quiet today!
I'm so glad you guys got to go. I was thinking about you and wondering if you were there when they were talking about the procession on the news.
Post a Comment