Sunday, January 11, 2009

Money Makeover

Today we had a meeting with a friend of ours (well, of mine) who is a mortgage broker. We've been wanting to refinance our adjustable rate mortgage to get into a fixed one and since the rates are pretty low we wanted to see if we might be able to swing it right now. The overall answer is that we really can't afford the monthly payments with the fixed right now.

Which led me to think about Dave Ramsey and his Money makeover strategies. I wondered if I could get the book from the library and read it to see if it is something that we could swing. As I was on the computer upstairs I thought to myself... "I seem to remember purchasing some book several years ago about money management. I wonder if I still have it?" So, I looked on the bookshelf and sure enough we had Dave Ramsey's Total Money Makeover book sitting right there! I picked up and thought I would glance at it tonight and knowing myself it would be put back on the shelf and nothing would be done. Well, I was totally wrong. I sat down at 4pm and started looking at it, got up around 5:30 to get dinner in the oven, sat down again after dinner and finished reading the ENTIRE book at 9 this evening. Needless to say I was completely engrossed in his strategies.

I'm sold. So.................................. I think over this next week I'm going to start working on our budget so we can get going on this thing!

So for those who know me in real life - start thinking I'm crazy (not that you don't already) because the next couple years are HOPEFULLY going to be insane, but in a good way!

3 comments:

No Names Needed said...

Good luck!!

Seven's Heaven said...

So funny. Yesterday in church, the baseball pitcher that lost his arm to cancer, Dave Drebecky was preaching. I came home and as looking him up on Youtube, and found Dave Ramsey too. I have been asking my husband for years to give me a budget so I know what I can spend. We have done it off and on in our marriage and I'm always happier on one. So I am going to get his book and check it out now that I read your blog. Thanks for the good reminder. We need to be good stewards of all God has given us, not just money. Have a great week 2nd cousin!

Kjerste said...

Just found your blog! Hello! Thanks for all your helpful comments over on ours. I'm loving my Moby. So glad you told me to go for it! Good luck with your new financial plans!