What is so exciting about a 2 year old eating a corn dog? Well, nothing really. Except that he ate this entire corn dog AFTER eating a whole bowl of peaches, a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a whole handful of goldfish. I'm SOOOO in for it when he is a teenager.
Anyway, Inauguration Day.... so I have to first of all admit that I didn't vote for Obama. There are a few moral issues that I have with him and his beliefs. But I'm not going to go into that right now. I've made the decision that since he IS our new president (well, he will be in about 4 days) that I'm accepting that and I'm going to be supportive of him. I'm going to be praying for him as he takes over this VERY hard role at a VERY scary time in our country's history. I've also recognized the significance of this particular president. I want my kids (well at least Kaelyn) remember this day. I want them to realize how important it is that we have crossed over into a new world because of Obama's election. We are going to celebrate this day simply because of it's significance. We may not support his stance on certain issues, but we DEFINATELY support our countries choice to elect an African American president. So, we will be watching the Inauguration. I've been talking to Kaelyn a lot in the past day or two about what this all means. I've given her just a very, very small glance into our country's history with racial issues and I've made sure that she knows how very important this inauguration is. Today after we talked more about it she announced that we needed to make hats to wear while we watch this event. So, we picked out our supplies and went to work. Here is the end result....
I hope that you are able to watch this with your children and talk with them about it. Talk about what you believe, talk about what your hopes and fears are for our country. I believe now is the time for my children to start to realize what a great country we live in and how their future is affected by what happens now.
2 comments:
Love the hats!! Brooke watched the Inauguration with me yesterday. It was so cute to see her singing the national anthem after they swore him in.
I agree with you 100% and hope all who didn't vote for him will. Prayer is a powerful thing! And we only got to see some of the inauguration but have been talking all along about it coming. we are in a co-op where they have had a class on the elections, the constitution and will go into history from there. So they had debates and everything. It was a blessing.
Blessings on you all! Susan
Post a Comment